Vanishing Varicose VeinsIN WOMEN'S HEALTH
Sometimes you just want to wear shorts, not long pants or capris. But those reddish-purple veins make you embarrassed to show your legs. What can you do? Take some time to learn about varicose and spider veins and the many treatment options available.
Where Do They Come From?
When a vein in your body becomes enlarged or twisted (varicose), it can diminish circulation, possibly burst, and become painful. In addition, you may develop smaller spider veins, which appear as reddish short lines or “starburst” clusters on your thighs, ankles, and feet, and sometimes on your face. According to the American Venous Forum, varicose and spider veins can develop because of the following:
- multiple pregnancies
While women frequently develop varicose veins, men are just as susceptible. Without proper care, varicose veins will eventually worsen in appearance, and may even cause pain. How do you get rid of these villanous varicose veins? Take heart, there’s hope.
The American Society for Dermatalogic Surgery cites the five following treatments for varicose veins:
- Laser surgery uses intense heat to destroy abnormal veins and vessels.
- Electrodesiccation seals off selected veins with an electrical current.
- Surgical ligation and stripping is an in-hospital, surgical procedure in which the damaged blood vessels are tied off or removed.
- Ambulatory phlebectomy is a procedure in which veins are removed through tiny incisions along the path of an enlarged vein.
- Combined approaches using different techniques and technologies together that may be recommended by a dermatologic surgeon.
But what if you want to stop varicose veins before they start? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, especially when it comes to varicose veins.
| Preventing Varicose Veins
Did you know that improving your circulation and muscle tone will reduce your risk of varicose veins? Here are some tips on how you can do it:
Sources: lef.org, venous-info.com, veindirectory.org, bio-medicine.org© 2013. True North Custom Media. All Rights Reserved.